Wednesday, April 11, 2012

teaching how to hold a pencil

 I recently had someone ask about how to help a child hold a pencil.  I love getting questions...not that I'm a expert, but because I love helping them find a solution.  Some kids just naturally learn the correct way to hold a pencil...called, the pincer grasp. Others, have a harder time and don't want to let go of that fist clutch.  Here are some ideas worth trying. 

Get a ball...I happened to have one with lots of holes, so it worked perfectly for this illustration.  I would suggest a tennis ball, or something similar, so the ball holds the pencil in place rather than it slipping through the holes.   
This way helps those little fingers to open up and strengthen the muscles that will be needed to correctly hold a pencil.  The dollar store is you best friend... and the pet section.  Different sizes of balls may be needed depending on the size of the child's hand.

Another option is to put the ring and pinky finger to sleep.  Demonstrate how to hold the pencil, then tell them they have to lay their ring and pinky finger on a pillow (the cotton ball).  They have no other choice but to use those 3 fingers left to correctly hold the pencil.  Anything made into a game is always the safest thing. :) 

I also found these here, called "the writing claw".



No child is the same...so don't be discouraged!  Remember, the simple games like play-do and cutting are great fine motor practice, and help build muscles for handwriting! 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! My almost 3 year old does the fist clinch and I had no idea how to help him. I will try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Kimmie! Thanks for the comment! I love to hear from readers! How did you find my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "go to sleep" idea. I had a child this year that had a difficult time remembering how to hold his pencil. I will keep this one in my reserves for next year's class!

    ReplyDelete